Enter “My Favorite StoryCorps Story” Contest
Enter the “My Favorite StoryCorps Story” Contest by sending us a video on Instagram telling us which StoryCorps story is your favorite and why. You’ll be entered for a chance to win a StoryCorps Loyal Listener Bundle!
One of the most meaningful aspects about sharing stories recorded at StoryCorps is learning how each conversation resonates with our listeners. We sincerely appreciate you—our listeners—and want to hear about how our stories have touched your heart.
Please carefully read the instructions on how to enter below.
How to enterNo purchase necessary. A purchase will not increase your chance of winning.
The contest is open to legal residents of the 50 United States and the District of Columbia, age eighteen (18) years or older at the time of entry. One entry per person.
The Contest begins on Monday, October 16 at 5:30 P.M. E.T. and ends at 11:59 P.M. E.T. on Monday, November 6.
1. Follow @StoryCorps on Instagram (www.instagram.com/storycorps/). You must have the Instagram app and an account to enter via this method. If you do not have the Instagram app, you may download it through the application store on your device. The Instagram app is free. By entering the Contest via Instagram using your mobile device, standard data fees may apply. You should consult your wireless service provider’s pricing plan for details. You agree to incur any and all charges demanded by your wireless carrier. You should also check your device’s features for capabilities and check the device manual for specific use instructions.
2. Record a video of yourself answering the following prompt: What is your favorite StoryCorps story and why? (the “Entry” or “Submission”). The video must be shorter than 90 seconds.
3. Post the video to your public Instagram profile as a feed post or a Reel and in the caption of your post you MUST include the hashtag #MyFavoriteStoryCorpsStoryContest AND tag @StoryCorps. Then, send a Direct Message to the @StoryCorps account with a link to your post and the hashtag #MyFavoriteStoryCorpsStoryContest in the body of your message.
• If you choose to post a video to your Instagram profile as a post or a Reel, your account must be public and the video must be available to view on your profile during the Contest Period in order to qualify. Videos posted to a private account will not be visible for us to view, and therefore, will not qualify. Videos posted as Instagram Stories or Instagram Live will not qualify.
OR Send your video through Direct Message to the official @StoryCorps Instagram account. In a first message, upload and send a pre-recorded video. Then, send a second message that MUST include the hashtag #MyFavoriteStoryCorpsStoryContest in the body of your message.
• If you choose to send your video through DM, you must pre-record your video and upload it from your library. Videos that are recorded through DM face the possibility of disappearing, and therefore, may not be visible for us to view.
• Please double check that you use the correct hashtag and that it is spelled correctly.
• Either way you enter, your Submission may be shared or posted on StoryCorps’ social media accounts.
Three winners will be selected by a panel of StoryCorps’ employees (the “Judges”) based on the following criteria: quality of response (80%); production quality (10%); and creativity (10%). Winners will receive a StoryCorps Loyal Listener Bundle (Approx. value of $130), which includes:
(1) All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps (Book)
(1) Callings: The Purpose and Passion of Work (Book)
(1) Listening is an Act of Love (Book)
(1) Mom: A Celebration of Mothers from StoryCorps (Book)
(1) Ties that Bind: Stories of Love & Gratitude from the first 10 Years of StoryCorps (Book)
(1) 20th Anniversary The Great Questions Card Deck
(1) StoryCorps Mug
(1) StoryCorps Cotton Tote Bag
Entries or votes that are lost, late, misdirected, garbled, or incompletely received, for any reason, including by reason of hardware, software, browser, or network failure, malfunction, congestion, or incompatibility at the Web site or elsewhere, are not the responsibility of the Sponsor, and will not be eligible. In the event of a dispute, entries/votes will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail or Instagram address at time of entry. Sponsor, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to disqualify any person tampering with the entry or voting process, the operation of the Web site, or otherwise in violation of the rules. Use of bots or other automated processes to vote or enter is not allowed and may result in disqualification at Sponsor’s discretion. Sponsor further reserves the right to cancel, terminate, or modify any Contest not capable of completion as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, force majeure, voter fraud, or technical failures of any sort. Sponsor is not responsible for errors in the administration or fulfillment of this Contest, including, without limitation, mechanical, human, printing, distribution, or production errors, and may modify this Contest based upon such error at its sole discretion without liability and where circumstances make this unavoidable.
By participating in the Contest, you agree to be fully and unconditionally bound by these Rules, and you represent that you meet the eligibility requirements set forth herein. In addition, entrants represent and warrant that their Submission is their original work, it has not been copied from others, and it does not violate the rights of any other person or entity. Entrants acknowledge that their Submission may be shared or posted on Sponsor’s social media accounts and on its website, and entry into the Contest grants permission to do so.
The Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Instagram, Meta, Google, X, LinkedIn, YouTube, or TikTok (collectively, the “Platforms”). You are providing your information to Sponsor, and not to the Platforms.
All entry materials become the property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. The copyright in any Submission shall remain the property of the entrant, but, in exchange for the publication of the Submission by the Sponsor in across its social media accounts and website, entry in this Contest constitutes entrant’s irrevocable, perpetual permission and consent to Sponsor and others authorized by Sponsor, without compensation or attribution, (i) to use, reproduce, print, publish, transmit, communicate to the public, distribute, sell, perform, adapt, enhance, or display the Submission and the entrant’s name and city and state for editorial, advertising, commercial, and publicity purposes, in any and all media now in existence or hereinafter created, throughout the world; (ii) to do (or omit to do) any acts in respect of the Submission which may otherwise constitute an infringement of the entrant’s moral rights; and (iii) to edit, adapt, and modify the Submission.
Except to the extent prohibited by law, Sponsor excludes from these official rules all conditions, warranties, and terms implied by statute, general law, or custom. Each entrant releases and discharges the Sponsor, the judges, Instagram, Meta, X, Google, TikTok, any party associated with the development or administration of the Contest, their employees, agents, or representatives, or any of their parents, subsidiaries, or affiliates from any and all liability in connection with the Contest, including, without limitation, legal claims, costs, losses or damages, demand, or actions of any kind.
Three finalists will be selected by a panel of StoryCorps’ employees (the “Judges”) on or around November 13, 2023 from all eligible entries received during the Contest Period, based on the following criteria: quality of response (80%); production quality (10%); and creativity (10%). In the event of the tie, the entry that was first received by the Sponsor will be deemed as the finalist, and the other entries will not be included as a finalist. If the finalist satisfies all of the eligibility rules, they will be declared a winner. In the event a finalist does not satisfy all of the eligibility rules, cannot be contacted or does not respond within five (5) days, an alternate finalist may be selected.
There will be three winners of each Contest. All decisions of the Judge(s) in all matters relating to the Contest are final and binding.
The Judge(s) will select the winners on or about November 13, 2023. Winners will be contacted via Direct Message on Instagram or preferred method of contact. The Winners will be announced by November 30, 2023. A complete list of winners will be available by writing to: My Favorite StoryCorps Story Contest Winners’ List, StoryCorps, 80 Hanson Place, 2nd Floor, Brooklyn, NY, 11217. Please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope. Requests must be received no later than 90 days from the Contest end date.
Each winner will receive a prize of the StoryCorps Loyal Listener Bundle, which includes:
x 1 – All There Is: Love Stories from StoryCorps (Book)
x 1 – Callings: The Purpose and Passion of Work (Book)
x 1 – Listening is an Act of Love (Book)
x 1 – Mom: A Celebration of Mothers from StoryCorps (Book)
x 1 – Ties that Bind: Stories of Love & Gratitude from the first 10 Years of StoryCorps (Book)
x 1 – 20th Anniversary The Great Questions Card Deck
x 1 – StoryCorps Mug
x 1 – StoryCorps Cotton Tote Bag
The approximate retail value of the prize is $130.
Subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited. All disputes arising or connected with the Contest shall be governed by New York law and will be resolved individually, without resort to class action exclusively in a state or federal court located in New York, N.Y. As permitted by law, any judgments or awards shall be limited to out-of-pocket damages (excluding attorneys’ fees), and shall not include any indirect, punitive, or consequential damages.
Except where prohibited: winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility and copyright transfer/liability/publicity/permission release. If the winner is deemed to be a minor under the jurisdiction of his/her residence, the parent or legal guardian may be required to execute the necessary affidavit and release. Affidavits and releases must be returned within five (5) days of attempted notification or an alternate winner may be chosen.
The Sponsor collects personal information in order to conduct the Contest and may, for this purpose, disclose such information to third parties. Entry is conditional on providing this information. The Sponsor may also use the information for promotional, marketing, and publicity purposes. Entrants should direct any request to access, update, or correct information to the Sponsor.
This Contest is sponsored by StoryCorps, Inc., 80 Hanson Place, 2nd Floor, Brooklyn, NY, 11217 (“Sponsor”).
Need some inspiration for your submission?
Start with stories from our 20th anniversary collections!
Since 2003, we have shared thousands of stories in the form of broadcasts, animations, and podcasts — all stories of which you can choose from. Here are classic stories from our 20th anniversary collections to get you inspired!
Celebrate our anniversary with a collection of five new animations that reflect the breadth of meaningful conversations that people have shared in StoryCorps Booths over the last 20 years.
Every Friday this past September, we shared a series of special extended broadcasts on NPR’s Morning Edition segment that revisited five classic StoryCorps conversations, with updates on where our participants are today.