Work at StoryCorps
Do you believe in the power of stories to create meaningful social change? Come work with us.
Since our founding in 2003, StoryCorps’ team has expanded to include close to 100 employees nationwide. We are headquartered in Fort Greene, Brooklyn, with standing booths located in New York City, San Francisco, Atlanta, and Chicago, as well as a MobileBooth that travels across the country recording stories.
Employees come from a range of backgrounds and fields, and work together across our various departments including Programs, External Relations, and Finance & Administration to bring our mission to life.
At our core, we all believe in the power of listening, and the power of StoryCorps to change the world.
Why work with us?
From our organization’s beginnings, we’ve maintained a focus on creating and sustaining a work culture that echoes our organizational mission — one that values diversity and prioritizes respect, kindness, and honesty. Whether it’s recording participants, partners, or staff, we put people first.
We offer a competitive compensation package to our employees that includes:
- Health Insurance: excellent medical, dental, and vision plans Flexible Spending Accounts
- 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan
- Employee Assistance Plan (free counseling, financial, and legal advice)
- Pre-tax transit benefits
- And generous paid time off (full-time regular staff get more than 40 days per year of vacation, sick leave, personal days, Summer Fridays, and holidays, including a day off in honor of oral historian Studs Terkel’s birthday!)
- Our team is exceptional. We hire great people to do great things. At StoryCorps you will work with top talent from a variety of fields—from technologists, designers, and archivists, to program managers, audio producers, and interview facilitators.
- We have a casual office environment with headquarters in Fort Greene, Brooklyn—near almost every subway line and the LIRR at Atlantic Center, and a short walk to the Brooklyn Academy of Music, Fort Greene Park, local shops, and a thriving restaurant scene.
Our organizational values underscore every aspect of our work:
We reflect and celebrate our nation’s diversity in the participants, communities, and listeners we engage, the stories we share, and the organization we sustain.
We will ensure that our content, programs, and services are accessible to people of all backgrounds, languages, and abilities.
We work to include and amplify the voices of people who have been marginalized by society, misrepresented in mainstream media, and excluded from the historical record.
We develop dynamic, mutually beneficial partnerships based on understanding and respect for the needs and ideas of our co-workers, organizational partners, and supporters.
We provide exemplary service to all; promote innovation, accountability, and professional growth; and cultivate an extraordinary workplace that celebrates, supports, and retains our talented staff.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.
Current Employment Opportunities
Finance & Administration Division:
Click here for more information about the internships offered at StoryCorps.