External Relations Intern
Department: Marketing & Communications
Division: External Relations
Location: Brooklyn, NY
StoryCorps’ External Relations department is looking for an intern who is interested in learning about to institutional marketing, communications, and fundraising functions at a non-profit, and contributing to these capacities to help further StoryCorps’ mission. StoryCorps External Relations division encompasses marketing and communications, corporate sponsorship and development. The student intern will have an opportunity interact with all of these functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in regular meetings about marketing and communications strategy and planning
- Assist with content creation and maintenance on digital platforms, including social media accounts, YouTube channel, and StoryCorps.org via WordPress
- Produce regular reporting on digital analytics and performance
- Provide support with customer relationship management via ZenDesk
- Perform research to support content distribution planning as needed
- Conduct research and provide support for for graphic designer
- Provide prospect research and administrative support for Institutional Giving department
- Assist in planning the annual StoryCorps Gala (summer/fall session only)
- Provide other administrative assistance to the External Relations department, as needed
We are looking for someone interested in communications, marketing, and fundraising who is intellectually curious and looking for a comprehensive understanding of organizational communications. Requirements: excellent written and verbal communication skills, interest in and engagement with media and society, proficiency with learning new digital platforms, and commitment to StoryCorps’ philosophy and mission.
Value of Internship
At the completion of this internship, the intern can expect to gain experience in marketing, institutional communications, development, and customer relationship management, including:
- How marketing messaging and campaigns are developed, from idea to production
- How organizations engage with their audiences and interface with funders to forward their mission
- How customer relationship management systems (CRMs) are used to interact with the public
- How potential institutional and individual donors are cultivated
- How the functions of a non-profit organization are organized and managed
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.