Chicago StoryBooth Intern
Location: Chicago, IL
Status: Student Intern
StoryCorps Chicago records stories in and around the Chicagoland area. By collecting interviews through community outreach and public appointments, hosting public events and offering additional services, StoryCorps Chicago brings the StoryCorps experience to as many diverse populations as possible.
The Chicago StoryBooth Intern is based out of our Chicago office (located in the Chicago Cultural Center in Chicago, IL) and assists the StoryBooth Regional Manager and Facilitators with the day-to-day operation of the program.
Our interns take part in a supportive and collaborative work environment at our offices at the Chicago Cultural Center in Chicago, IL. StoryCorps Chicago student intern will volunteer Tuesday-Friday, between the hours of 10:00am-6:00pm, for a total of 15-20 hours per week.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsibilities may include but will not be limited to:
- Greet the general public and provide information about StoryCorps in the exhibit space
- Research about and reaching out to new outreach opportunities in the Chicago area
- Assist in maintaining and developing relationships with current and possible partners
- Prepare and participate in presentations and events to expand our community presence
- Make reminder calls to participants to confirm appointments and answer questions as needed
- Assist in tracking and reporting information including outreach activities, appointment information and general inquiries
- Collect feedback from StoryBooth partners
- Assist in planning and carrying out special events
- General administrative tasks as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and rapport-building skills
- Pleasant and professional phone persona
- Ability to function independently, yet proactively as a team player
- Strong problem-solving and multi-tasking skills
- Decisive and consistent work ethic
- Ability to function proactively in a fast-paced work environment
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience and/or interest working with diverse populations
- Spanish language proficiency (preferred but not required)
- Familiarity with Mac computers and Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel preferred
Goals of the Internship
The StoryCorps Chicago internship provides experience in public relations, and customer service. The Chicago StoryBooth Intern will gain an understanding of community outreach and organization, and gain experience in activities involved in the planning, coordination, and execution of a large-scale oral history project.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.