How to record your Storycorps interview
Thank you for choosing to record your COVID-19 story as part of the COVID-19 American History Project. The American Folklife Center invites everyone to share their experiences, especially frontline workers, medical professionals, and emergency service workers.
If you are ready to start your interview, click “Begin Recording” below.
Or, read the steps on this page for more information about the recording process.
Step 1: CHOOSE WHO YOU WANT TO INTERVIEW
Choose a conversation partner and schedule a time to record together. You can invite a loved one, a friend, a community member, or even a stranger to record an interview with you. (Set aside ~1 hour).
Step 2: decide How you want to record
Decide whether you want to have the conversation together IN PERSON or TALK VIRTUALLY. You can record in the same room as your conversation partner or you can connect from different locations. If you are connecting from different locations, you’ll find a link in the Virtual Recording Booth to send to your partner to “meet you” there.
Step 3: PREPARE YOUR RECORDING SPACE
The StoryCorps Virtual Recording Booth includes video and audio capabilities but only your audio and one screenshot will be recorded. You don’t need to focus on how your space “looks.” To record an interview, you will need:
- A quiet, private space (turn off notifications on your phone + computer)
- Strong, reliable internet (charge your computer + close unnecessary tabs/programs)
- Headphones (if you and your partner aren’t in the same room)
Step 4: CREATE AN ACCOUNT and start RECORDING!
- When you click “Begin Recording”, you’ll create a free StoryCorps account to access the Virtual Recording Booth. Once you create your account, it will take you straight to the Virtual Recording Booth.
- If your partner is with you in person, begin recording your interview as soon as you’re both ready.
- If your partner is joining you virtually, you can send them a link to join you in the Virtual Recording Booth. Wait until they arrive, then you can begin recording.
Questions? Contact [email protected] or visit the StoryCorps Connect section of our StoryCorps Help Center for more support on your self-directed recording!