Take a step toward bringing our country and your community together.
The Ad Council’s Love Has No Labels and StoryCorps’ One Small Step Bring Americans Together One Conversation at a Time
We’re matching strangers from different points of view for conversations about who they are. Anyone, anywhere can sign up for our email list and complete our matching questionnaire to have the opportunity to be paired with a stranger for a One Small Step conversation.
Help us begin undoing the idea of “us” versus “them” in your community in four steps:
- Sign up to join the One Small Step email list
- You’ll receive a questionnaire to participate in One Small Step. Fill it out.
- We match you with a stranger across the political divides to have a 40-minute virtual conversation about your lives. These sessions remind us that it’s hard to hate up close. Each interview becomes part of American history at the Library of Congress.
- Spread the word about One Small Step to your family, friends, neighbors and beyond.
About One Small Step
StoryCorps has perfected a method for helping people feel more connected and for reminding us of the inherent worth of every person and every story.
Now, after more than 600,000 people have recorded with us, we are asking people with different political views to record a 40-minute StoryCorps interview with each other. Why?
- To remember our shared humanity.
- To remind us that treating those with whom we disagree with decency and respect is essential to a functioning democracy.
- To remember that we have more in common than divides us.
During a time when America is more divided than ever, listening is a powerful tool that reminds us of our shared humanity and can bring communities closer together and heal our nation.
Watch More Courageous Conversations
New to StoryCorps? We’ve collected some of the most memorable stories told by people of all backgrounds and beliefs about what matters most in their lives.
Recording on your own
StoryCorps provides tools so you can record your own One Small Step conversation with someone you know using our own platform StoryCorps Connect. The conversation will be entirely self-guided by you and your conversation partner and takes place in a virtual video conference room.
Download (PDF): One Small Step: DIY (Do it Yourself) Guide
Support For One Small Step
One Small Step is made possible by the generous support of the Fetzer Institute, The Hearthland Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and the Charles Koch Institute.