The Military Voices Initiative records, preserves, and shares the stories of veterans, servicemembers, and military families.
About the Military Voices Initiative
For more than a decade, 2.4 million men and women have served in Iraq and Afghanistan while millions of families have stood behind them at home. The military community knows well the challenges of multiple deployments, combat-injuries, and long-awaited homecomings. Yet few civilians truly understand the complex realities of our troops’ service and sacrifice.
The Military Voices Initiative provides a platform for veterans, servicemembers, and military families to share their stories. In doing so we honor their voices, amplify their experiences, and let them know that we—as a nation—are listening.
Stories from the Military Voices Initiative
“The disconnect is huge.”
Marine Corporal Paul Wayman (L) talks with his friend Nathanael Roberti, (R) a former Navy Seal, about their trouble readjusting ...
“At three years of age, you just started playing...”
Staff Sergeant Daniel Hodd and his mother, Evelyn, talk about Daniel's decision to put aside a promising career as a ...
“How did it make you feel to leave us for your deployment?”
Talana Banks and her brother, Willie, talk with their mother, Chief Warrant Officer Felicia Banks, about her deployment to Iraq ...
“My first question was, 'Do you have the right guy?'”
Iraq War veteran Richard Bennett (R) talks with Craig Williams (L) about how they became unlikely business partners.
Listen to More Stories from the Military Voices Initiative
- Got Your 6 – Washington, D.C.
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA)L – New York, NY
- Veterans History Project (VHP) – Washington, D.C.
- Pritzker Military Library – Chicago, IL
- Purple Hearts Reunited – Georgia, VT
- The Mission Continues – St. Louis, MO
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) – Arlington, VA
- Texas A&M University – College Station, TX
- Georgia Association to Benefit Veterans – Atlanta, GA
- Los Angeles County Department of Military and Veterans Affairs – Los Angeles, CA
- The American Military Partner Association – San Diego, CA
This February as part of our Military Voices Initiative StoryCorps Traveled to Orlando, Florida to record stories of Post 9-11... Read more.