StoryCorps Marks Veterans Day
This Veterans Day, StoryCorps will honor the service and sacrifice of the military community by releasing new content from our Military Voices Initiative. This includes three new animated shorts, an hour-long radio special, and broadcasts on NPR’s Morning Edition and Weekend Edition Saturday.
The Military Voices Initiative provides a platform for veterans, servicemembers, and military families to share their stories. In doing so we honor their voices, amplify their experiences, and let them know that we—as a nation—are listening.
Stories from the Military Voices Initiative
“I'm so thankful for everything you've done.”
Tracy Johnson and her mother in-law, Sandra Johnson, talk about the death of their wife and daughter, Army Staff Sergeant ...
“The disconnect is huge.”
Marine Corporal Paul Wayman (L) talks with his friend Nathanael Roberti, (R) a former Navy Seal, about their trouble readjusting ...
“At three years of age, you just started playing...”
Staff Sergeant Daniel Hodd and his mother, Evelyn, talk about Daniel's decision to put aside a promising career as a ...
“How did it make you feel to leave us for your deployment?”
Talana Banks and her brother, Willie, talk with their mother, Chief Warrant Officer Felicia Banks, about her deployment to Iraq ...
Listen to More Stories from the Military Voices Initiative
- Got Your 6 – Washington, D.C.
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America (IAVA)L – New York, NY
- Veterans History Project (VHP) – Washington, D.C.
- Pritzker Military Library – Chicago, IL
- Purple Hearts Reunited – Georgia, VT
- The Mission Continues – St. Louis, MO
- Tragedy Assistance Program for Survivors (TAPS) – Arlington, VA
- Texas A&M University – College Station, TX
- Georgia Association to Benefit Veterans – Atlanta, GA
- Los Angeles County Department of Military and Veterans Affairs – Los Angeles, CA
- The American Military Partner Association – San Diego, CA