One Small Step Intern
About One Small Step
At this moment, our country feels increasingly disconnected and tribal—our mutual distrust amplified by everything from social media to the efforts of forces seeking to weaken the foundations of our democracy. Many Americans feel unheard, alone, and angry.
Over the past 14 years StoryCorps has perfected a simple method for helping people feel more connected and less alone; for increasing hope and decreasing fear of the other; for reminding us all of the inherent worth of every person and every story. Up to this point, almost all of the people who have come to participate in StoryCorps have done so because they know and love one another.
With the One Small Step initiative, StoryCorps will put people on opposite sides of the political divides into a StoryCorps booth. Participants won’t come to argue about politics, but simply to get to know one another as human beings, to take one small step towards each other and remember that people they might have thought they hate are actually human beings.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
- Correspond with potential and current OSS partners
- Perform research to identify potential OSS partners
- Schedule and attend internal and external meetings and events, as assigned
- Support logistics related to the OSS launch / media event
- Perform data entry, tracking, and reporting
- Perform other general administrative tasks to support the OSS initiative, as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal and rapport-building skills
- Pleasant and professional phone persona
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to function proactively in a fast-paced work environment with multiple responsibilities
- Strong research, problem-solving, and multi-tasking skills
- Interest in the OSS initiative’s mission and experience and/or interest working with a variety of people and institutions with diverse social and political viewpoints
Goals of the Internship
The One Small Step Internship provides experience in outreach, office administration, public relations, and customer service. The One Small Step Intern will gain knowledge of the planning, coordination, and execution of a large-scale oral history project, and will become familiar with the operations of a mid-size nonprofit organization.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.