INTERNSHIPS AT STORYCORPS
The StoryCorps Student Internship Program is designed for undergraduate and graduate students currently enrolled in a degree-granting program who are interested in gaining valuable experience in a creative, fast-paced nonprofit organization — ideally, for school credit as part of their degree requirements. Please note: we do not currently accept applications from high school students.
StoryCorps interns bring a diverse set of experiences, skills, and most importantly, a willingness to learn and to contribute to our mission and goals. StoryCorps’ mission is to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. As part of that mission, StoryCorps actively works to ensure our programming is inclusive of people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We are committed to developing a staff that matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and we encourage internship applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community.
Our interns take part in a supportive and collaborative work environment at our headquarters in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, or at our offices in Atlanta, Georgia (at the Atlanta History Center) or Chicago, Illinois (at the Chicago Cultural Center).
We are currently recruiting for our summer session for our Chicago and Atlanta StoryBooths only. We will begin recruiting for our fall session with our full list of programs in May, 2019.
WHAT OUR PROGRAM HAS TO OFFER:
Access: All interns have the unique opportunity to participate in departmental meetings and contribute to the goals and mission of StoryCorps.
Training: Interns receive a comprehensive week-long training and StoryCorps orientation, including exposure to all departments, initiatives, and tiers of service.
Development: Interns learn valuable professional skills during their time at StoryCorps. Intern supervisors place special emphasis on growth and learning, beginning with individual goal setting at the start of each session. In addition, StoryCorps sponsors a bimonthly lunch series devoted to intern professional development. During each “Lunch & Learn,” department leaders present on a wide range of topics, including department overviews, career advice, and building professional skills.
- The StoryCorps student internship program is unpaid. However, student interns receive a weekly stipend of $80 to reimburse lunch and transportation expenses during the term of their internship.
- Our program runs in three sessions: Spring (from January through May), Summer (From June through August), or Fall (from September through December).
- StoryCorps student internships require a commitment of 10-20 hours per week.
- StoryCorps student interns may arrange to receive school credit upon program completion.
- StoryCorps student interns also benefit from mentorship from their StoryCorps supervisor, a robust professional development program (including workshops on cover letters, resumes, and interviewing skills each session), and valuable experience in StoryCorps’ fast-paced and creative work environment.
International Applicants: Individuals who are not U.S. citizens, but who reside in the U.S., may participate in the StoryCorps internship program if (1) if they are lawful permanent residents; or (2) if they are non-immigrant aliens with F-1 or J-1 visa status, who are bona fide students residing in the U.S. solely to pursue a course of study at a recognized, approved institution of education.
All foreign national intern applicants will be required to meet the following criteria for consideration:
- Must either be a Lawful Legal Resident of the United States or hold a valid F1 Visa.
- Interns must present acceptable documents are listed on Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification (pg.9). At least one submitted document must be a valid State or Federal government-issued picture ID. Identity proofing may be completed at any time, prior to the commencement of work.
- If you are an International Student on an F1 Visa, you will need a CPT or OPT to take part in our internship program.
AVAILABLE STUDENT INTERNSHIPS:
To apply to StoryCorps’ Fall Internships Program, please complete the application here. Be sure to attach your Cover Letter and Resume at the end of the application, for consideration. Without a Cover Letter and Resume, your application will be viewed incomplete. Application deadline for Summer 2019 is April 12, 2019.