Internships at StoryCorps
The StoryCorps Internship Program is designed for college students and recent college graduates interested in gaining valuable experience in a creative, fast-paced nonprofit organization. Please note that we do not currently accept applications from high school students.
StoryCorps interns bring a diverse set of experiences, skills, and most importantly, a willingness to learn and to contribute to our mission and goals. Our mission is to share and preserve the stories of an inclusive range of voices—from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to StoryCorps Historias to collect the experiences of Latinos—and candidates with experience working in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our interns take part in a supportive and collaborative work environment at our offices in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York; Atlanta, Georgia; San Francisco, California; and Chicago, Illinois.
What our program has to offer:
Access: All interns have the unique opportunity to participate in departmental meetings and contribute to the goals and mission of StoryCorps.
Training: Interns receive a comprehensive week-long training and StoryCorps orientation, including exposure to all departments, initiatives, and tiers of service.
Development: Interns learn valuable professional skills during their time at StoryCorps. Intern supervisors place special emphasis on growth and learning, beginning with individual goal setting at the start of each session. In addition, StoryCorps sponsors a bimonthly lunch series devoted to intern professional development. During each “Lunch & Learn,” department leaders present on a wide range of topics, including department overviews, career advice, and building professional skills.
- StoryCorps interns work a total of 20 hours per week.
- We provide a weekly stipend of $80 to help cover lunch and transportation expenses.
- StoryCorps interns may arrange to receive school credit upon program completion.
- Our program runs in two sessions: Winter/Spring from January through May and Summer/Fall from June through December.
- To be eligible for a StoryCorps internship, applicants must be able to commit to the full session. We do not accept summer-only interns.
1) Fill out the StoryCorps Internship Application.
2) Reply to the Application Confirmation Email with your cover letter and resume entitled “YourNameLetter,” “YourNameResume” (e.g. JaneSmithLetter).
3) If you have any questions please email email@example.com. No calls please.