Internships at StoryCorps
Designed with our interns in mind, the StoryCorps internship is intended to support professional development for each individual who is part of our intern cohort.
Starting with comprehensive training and orientation, you are introduced to StoryCorps’ goals and mission, while also learning about the departments contributing to these goals.
Throughout the program session, you will learn valuable professional skills. Our intern supervisors place special emphasis on growth and learning, beginning with individual goal setting at the start of each session. In addition, StoryCorps department leaders host a Lunch & Learn series devoted to intern professional development, discussing a range of topics including department overviews, career advice, and building professional skills.
StoryCorps interns are part of our team. You will have an opportunity to participate in departmental meetings and contribute to the goals and mission of StoryCorps while you are here.
Our interns are part of a supportive and collaborative environment at our headquarters in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn as well as in the virtual space.
Who should apply
The StoryCorps Internship Program is designed for current students, recent graduates, and early-career or career-changing applicants who are excited to learn and contribute to the mission and goals of StoryCorps and gain valuable experience in a creative, fast-paced nonprofit organization.
Our mission is to preserve and share humanity’s stories in order to build connections between people and create a more just and compassionate world. As part of that mission, StoryCorps actively works to ensure our programming is inclusive of people of all backgrounds and beliefs. We are committed to developing a staff that matches the diversity of the communities we serve, and we encourage internship applications from people of color and the LGBTQ community.
Please note that we do not currently accept applications from high school students. International Applicants – click here to find specific requirements.
StoryCorps offers three internship sessions: Winter/Spring, Summer, and Fall.
Winter/Spring & Fall Sessions:
- Winter/Spring applications open yearly in October – session runs between early January and late May
- Fall applications open yearly in July – session runs between late September and Mid December.
- During the school year, the StoryCorps student internship program requires a part-time commitment of 14-20 hours per week. Hours are flexible and supervisors will work around the intern’s school schedule.
- All StoryCorps interns are paid $15 per hour.
- StoryCorps interns may arrange to receive school credit.
- The internship will either be remote or hybrid (remote + in-person) work depending on the intern role. Hybrid positions will be based out of our Ft. Greene offices. Only candidates located in the NYC area or within commuting distance are eligible for the hybrid intern roles.
- During the summer session, StoryCorps internships are full-time (30-35 hours per week).
- Summer internships are filled through established partnerships with local colleges or other institutions that provide payment and/or school credit to the interns.
If you are an institution or organization looking for StoryCorps to host an intern for our summer internship sessions and want to become a summer partner please email [email protected].
Internship Dates and Application Deadlines
Next Internship Session: Winter/Spring 2024: January 2024 – May 2024
Applications Open: Late October 2023