Director, Digital & Technical Innovation
Job Title: Director, Digital & Technical Innovation
Department: Digital & Technical Innovation
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Status: Full-Time, Regular
Founded in 2003 by MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps has given more than 400,000 people the chance to record interviews about their lives, pass wisdom from one generation to the next, and leave a legacy for the future. StoryCorps shares edited excerpts of these interviews through popular weekly NPR broadcasts, animated shorts, digital platforms, and bestselling books. We do this to remind one another of our shared humanity, to strengthen and build the connections between people, to teach the value of listening, and to weave into the fabric of our culture the understanding that everyone’s story matters.
The Digital & Technical Innovation team is responsible for the look, feel, functionality, and interactivity of the StoryCorps App, the StoryCorps Archive, our website (Storycorps.org), and other supporting systems, such as Salesforce and Acuity Scheduling. The team collaborates with all departments across the organization and keeps an open dialogue with StoryCorps’ partners and the public to ensure our systems and tools are reliable, intuitive, powerful, delightful to use, and meet the needs of the many use cases they support.
The Director of Digital & Technical Innovation will be a vital partner in shaping StoryCorps’ digital strategy and institutional goals as they relate to our online and mobile technologies. The ideal candidate will be able to facilitate highly collaborative meetings and synthesize ideas for project plans, grant proposals, and more. A strong ability to identify new technology opportunities, forecast budgets, and communicate complex concepts clearly (to technical and non-technical audiences) is required. This person will collaborate with partners, such as the Library of Congress, Knight Foundation, TED, Adobe, Facebook and others as needed to support, explore, and prototype technologies to meet organizational goals. The Director, Digital & Technical Innovation occasionally represents StoryCorps to the technology community at large and forges new strategic partnerships to support and grow StoryCorps’ apps, platforms, and websites.
In addition to developing and communicating new ideas and strategy, the Director of Digital & Technical Innovation will also be responsible for managing digital staff and ensuring we maintain great relationships with our digital consultants. The Director will have the opportunity to build their internal team and shape and how it operates, and will provide guidance and direction to their staff, external engineers, and other teams in troubleshooting technical issues, as needed. Experience managing a technical team is required, as well as is significant experience with WordPress and a solid appreciation for hybrid mobile apps. Experience with Salesforce is strongly desired; some experience with a CRM is required.
The ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial, can-do mindset, and is extremely resourceful in their problem solving and systems design. They are highly organized and able to gracefully balance continuously evolving institutional priorities while successfully completing timely, exceptional work.
This is a full-time role, based out of StoryCorps’ Fort Greene, Brooklyn headquarters, but part-time (minimum 3 days per week) and/or remote work arrangements may be considered.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build, manage, and continuously improve StoryCorps’ suite of websites and mobile apps
- Research and build new technologies and platforms to further StoryCorps’ impact on Web and mobile devices
- Document and develop user engagement paths, user goals, user flows, and user types for StoryCorps’ various digital projects
- Workshop, prototype, develop, and maintain internal systems to improve organizational efficiency, communications, and processes
- Lead interdepartmental workshops and project teams to design and implement digital projects
- Collaborate with StoryCorps’ founder and other key stakeholders on product design
- Document and track all specifications, issues, bugs, improvements and feature requests for digital projects and recommend priorities to senior leadership
- Forecast, track, and report on project goals, budgets and resource needs for all digital projects
- Manage an approximately $1m annual budget, maximizing the quality and sustainability of StoryCorps’ technologies
- Co-author, research, and contribute to Development grants to financially support StoryCorps’ digital projects and goals
- Advise on long-term financial sustainability and revenue generating opportunities for StoryCorps’ digital projects
- Educate and be a resource for leadership and staff on web, mobile and other core technologies
- Foster a community of innovation at StoryCorps by maintaining a high standard of openness, collaboration, and transparency for all digital projects
- Lead organization-wide digital strategy efforts and contribute to strategic planning processes
- Lead, participate in, and organize summits, community events, and/or hackdays on behalf of StoryCorps and represent StoryCorps at technology conferences and events
- Supervise Digital & Technical Innovation staff
- Perform other duties to support StoryCorps as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree plus at least 8 years of directly relevant professional experience, or equivalent combination of education + on-the-job experience
- Strong experience in technology team leadership and project management
- Solid expertise designing, building and implementing websites and mobile apps (iOS, Android, etc.)
- Experience with Human Centered/User Centered Design
- Experience implementing digital archive systems and platforms, large scale storage arrays, large file transfers, file integrity checks, and “big data” systems and architecture
- Experience with code repositories and resource tracking software (BitBucket, GitHub, Beanstalk, Asana, Jira, etc.)
- Experience in an agile software development (SCRUM, KANBAN, etc.) environment
- Experience developing in the Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP (LAMP) stack and other open source technologies
- Expert proficiency in WordPress, Drupal, Salesforce, SugarCRM and/or similar content management systems
- Experience with conversion optimization methods and philosophy
- Solid ability to review and edit code and propose improvements and solutions to digital staff
- Experience developing software QA testing protocols
- Experience with assistive and ADA-compliant web technologies
- Experience implementing backup, redundancy, and disaster recovery plans
- Ability to analyze and report on traffic, site/app usage, and goal completion
- Strong experience with network security, eCommerce, PCI compliance and user privacy best practices
- Ability to work gracefully and productively while managing rapidly evolving institutional priorities
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal and public speaking)
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills; experience facilitating collaborative meetings with internal and external stakeholders
- Commitment to personal and professional growth
- Graduate degree, preferably in a related field
- Experience leading trainings
- Experience developing viral online marketing strategies
- Experience building and using data APIs (JSON, XML)
- Familiarity with statistics and research methodologies
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and the position title in the subject line: for example, “Jones – Director, Digital & Technical Innovation at StoryCorps” Include your cover letter and resume as attachments titled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.