Atlanta StoryBooth Intern
Location: Atlanta, GA
Status: Student Intern
StoryCorps Atlanta records stories in and around Atlanta, GA. By collecting interviews through community outreach and public appointments, hosting public events and offering additional services, StoryCorps Atlanta brings the StoryCorps experience to as many diverse populations as possible.
The Atlanta StoryBooth Intern is based out of our Atlanta office (Atlanta History Center: 130 W Paces Ferry Road) and assists with the day-to-day operation of these programs.
Internships at StoryCorps
The StoryCorps Internship Program is designed for current college interested in gaining valuable experience in a creative, fast-paced nonprofit organization. Please note that we do not currently accept applications from high school students.
StoryCorps interns bring a diverse set of experiences, skills, and most importantly, a willingness to learn and to contribute to our mission and goals. Our mission is to share and preserve the stories of an inclusive range of voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to StoryCorps Historias to collect the experiences of Latinos – and candidates with experience working in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Our interns take part in a supportive and collaborative work environment at our offices in the Fort Greene neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York; Atlanta, Georgia; San Francisco, CA; and Chicago, Illinois.
What Our Program has to Offer
Access: All interns have the unique opportunity to participate in departmental meetings and contribute to the goals and mission of StoryCorps.
Training: Interns receive a comprehensive week-long training and StoryCorps orientation, including exposure to all departments, initiatives, and tiers of service.
Development: Interns learn valuable professional skills during their time at StoryCorps. Intern supervisors place special emphasis on growth and learning, beginning with individual goal setting at the start of each session. In addition, StoryCorps sponsors a bimonthly lunch series devoted to intern professional development. During each “Lunch & Learn,” department leaders present on a wide range of topics, including department overviews, career advice, and building professional skills.
- StoryCorps interns work a total of 20 hours per week.
- We provide a weekly stipend of $80 to help cover lunch and transportation expenses.
- StoryCorps interns may arrange to receive school credit upon program completion.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Greet participants and administer exit interviews
- Collect feedback from outreach partners
- Make reminder calls to participants to confirm appointments and answer questions as needed
- Assist in processing interview material collected through the StoryBooth, field recordings and Community Outreach StoryKits
- Research and reaching out to new outreach opportunities in Atlanta
- Assist in maintaining and developing relationships with current and possible partners
- Assist in tracking and reporting information including outreach activities, appointment information and general inquiries
- General administrative tasks as needed
- Excellent interpersonal and rapport-building skills
- Pleasant and professional phone persona
- Strong multi-tasking skills
- Organizational skills and attention to detail
- Experience and/or interest working with diverse populations
- Familiarity with Macs
Goals of the Internship
The StoryCorps Atlanta internship provides experience in customer service, public relations, and customer service. The Atlanta StoryBooth Intern will gain an understanding of community outreach and organization, and gain experience in activities involved in the planning, coordination, and execution of a large-scale oral history project.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities they serve. All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.