Created by StoryCorps, One Small Step is an effort to remind the country of the humanity in all of us, even those with whom we disagree. The initiative brings strangers with different political views together to record a 50-minute conversation—not to debate politics, but to learn who we are as people. Audio recordings of each interview are archived at the Library of Congress.
Participate in One Small Step
To participate, apply to be matched. If you’d like more information before applying, visit How to Participate or FAQs about One Small Step.
Want to learn more about One Small Step and how you can help bring your community together—one conversation at a time? Join our email list.
Featured Voices from One Small Step
- Learn everything you need to know about participating in One Small Step.
- Read more about One Small Step on our blog.
- Watch a video overview of One Small Step.
- Check out our FAQs.
- After you have recorded a One Small Step conversation, check out 10 Steps to Stay Involved in One Small Step.
- If you want to go deeper, learn about other organizations working to bridge divides across the country.
One Small Step in the News
- Dave Isay Discusses One Small Step (KMJ’s Ray Appleton Show, July 1, 2022)
- How conversations with strangers are helping bridge a divide (TODAY, July 14, 2022)
- StoryCorps starts ‘One Small Step’ initiative to bridge political divide (NBC12, July 19, 2022)
- With One Small Step, Wichita State embarks on civic conversations (Wichita State University News, August 16, 2022)
Support StoryCorps and our One Small Step Initiative
Partner With Us
THANK YOU TO OUR MAJOR FUNDERS
One Small Step is made possible by the generous support of The Hearthland Foundation, the Fetzer Institute, the Walmart Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, and Stand Together Trust.