StoryCorps Goes South By Southwest
This past week StoryCorps headed south to Austin, TX, for the 2011 South By Southwest (SXSW) Interactive Summit and Film Festival. Interactive indeed! The Austin Convention Center was buzzing – or dare I say a-twitter – with activity. Thanks to our friends at P.O.V. and PBS who sponsored a series of interviews, we recorded interviews with bloggers and web developers and documentary filmmakers. In homage to the interactive nature of the conference, here’s a recap of the conference in the form of a twitter feed:
- @herbadmother @unmarketing “I’m a #mommy blogger and proud of it!” Catherine Connors talks with friend Scott Stratten about parenting and working from home.
- From the #Upper Peninsula in Michigan to #Afghanistan, Cole, Matt, Dominic & Heather discussed their upcoming doc: Where Soldiers Come From http://huff.to/hIbxJy
- @mollycrabapple @jahfurry, friends and collaborators, Molly Crabapple & Jeff Newelt talk illustration, comics, burlesque and dystopian internet futures
- @jw @rachelruns, Husband and wife, Josh and Rachel Williams discuss raising a family and the ups and downs of building an internet startup: @gowalla
- Filmmakers PJ Raval and Kyle Henry spoke about influence versus inspiration and the poignant moments of their lives. http://bit.ly/gVooi8 http://bit.ly/diLac2
- @pamslim @stephanieklein, new friends, Pamela Slim and Stephanie Klein talk inspiration, risk-taking, and breaking free (Yippee!) from the cubicle
- @kinodeluxe Professors and filmmakers Andy Garrison and Bart WeissÂ talk sound. How are we influenced by sound? Itâs the first sense to develop and the last to go.
- 8 homemade bombs, 2 years in prison, Bradley Crowder talks with doc filmmaker Katie Galloway about activism and ideology http://to.pbs.org/dSEv4p
- @paolo @amanda_hirsch Twitter pals, Paolo Sambrano and Amanda Hirsch met for the first time in-person at StoryCorps! They talked writing and internet friendship