Site Supervisor, Mobile
Site Supervisor, Mobile
Full-Time, Temporary (13 Months), Exempt
The Site Supervisor reports to the Manager, Mobile and is a senior member of the Mobile Department, which oversees StoryCorps’ Mobile Tour and the operations of the MobileBooths. A MobileBooth is an Airstream trailer outfitted with a recording studio that travels the country year-round collecting stories. These MobileBooths partner with local public radio stations for 4-6 weeklong visits to towns and cities nationwide.
The Mobile Site Supervisor is assigned to manage a MobileBooth, and is responsible for managing all aspects of the Booth’s operations, logistics and staffing needs. S/he serves as the primary on-the-ground liaison to community organizations, public radio partners, and press. The Site Supervisor lives and works on the road for one year.
The Site Supervisor also supervises a rotating team of two Facilitators, the front-line staff who support the recording of StoryCorps interviews. The Site Supervisor ensures that the Facilitators receive regular supervision, training, and performance assessment; s/he coordinates and delegates work and sets performance goals. The Supervisor also ensures that all tasks related to the operation of the MobileBooth are quality checked, including maintaining the facility and recording equipment and regularly communicating and troubleshooting issues with various StoryCorps departments. Additionally, two days per week, the Site Supervisor acts as a Facilitator at the MobileBooth, guiding participants through the StoryCorps interview process.
The term of employment for the Mobile Site Supervisor hired for the 2014 Mobile Tour will be November 25, 2013 – January 2015. There will be a mandatory training period from December 9, 2013 – December 20, 2013.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply. Spanish language fluency is a plus.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage administration, operations, and logistics of MobileBooth including: overall delegation of tasks and supervision of Facilitators; review of interview activity reports and archival processing work completed by Facilitators; preparation and quality check of administrative work, etc.
- Supervise and assess performance of Facilitators
- Function as primary contact for StoryCorps community partners and press
- Sustain relationships with public radio stations and act as primary contact during the MobileBooth stop
- Regularly facilitate interviews two days per week and as necessary
- Provide first level of support for technical problems occurring at the Booth
- Coordinate Booth repairs with the Recording and Archive Department, as needed
- Regularly communicate with the Mobile Manager regarding field operations and field staff performance, and work closely with the Mobile Senior Coordinator on the planning of each stop
- Perform other duties to support the Mobile department, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- 2 or 4-year college degree
- Minimum 1 year experience supervising staff
- Minimum 1 year experience in managing programs or projects, with strong multi-tasking and organizational skills and attention to detail
- Minimum 1 year experience working in diverse communities, including conducting outreach and engaging communities
- Driving proficiency and a valid driver’s license
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Experience as an effective team leader; team-building skills
- Strong conflict negotiation and problem solving skills
- Strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Strong conflict negotiation and collaborative skills
- Demonstrated experience delivering effective public presentations and engaging diverse audiences
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office, email, and database software
- Basic level of comfort learning and working with new technical equipment (e.g., audio recording equipment, databases, digital cameras)
- Cultural humility and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Spanish language fluency, both orally and in writing
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Experience with audio recording equipment and/or digital cameras
- Experience with technical troubleshooting
- Experience in long-term travel is a plus
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and “Site Supervisor, Mobile” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.