Senior Coordinator, OutLoud
Senior Coordinator, OutLoud
Brooklyn, New York
Manager, Community Engagement
Full-Time, Regular, Exempt
StoryCorps’ OutLoud Initiative is multi-year program designed to record, preserve, and share the stories of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer (LGBTQ) individuals across the United States, with the goal of promoting greater public understanding of the issues faced by the LGBTQ community and to celebrate their voices. The OutLoud Initiative will amplify the stories of individuals identifying as LGBTQ across the country with a particular focus on capturing the stories of LGBTQ youth, LGBTQ communities of color, the pre-Stonewall generation and memorializing those who lost their lives in the AIDS epidemic.
The Senior Coordinator of the OutLoud Initiative works with the Manager, Community Engagement to develop the program design, supervises an intern, and ensures the completion of the Initiative deliverables.
StoryCorps is committed to telling stories from a wide range of American voices-from our Griot Initiative, a program dedicated to recording the stories of African Americans to our Historias Initiative, a program dedicated to recording the stories of Latinos. We are equally committed to representing the plurality of voices in the LGBTQ community. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that at least 135 interviews are recorded by December 2014
- Research, engage, and collaborate with a variety of diverse partner organizations to coordinate OutLoud participation, with a special focus on LGBTQ youth and LGBTQ communities of color
- Plan and execute national, regional, and local OutLoud recording days
- Provide support to and collaborate with StoryBooth locales to ensure the delivery of initiative services
- Develop and execute regular informational meetings for cross-departmental StoryCorps staff involved in the Initiative
- Collaborate with the Marketing & Communications Department to successfully plan and execute a national launch, 3 regional launches and a MobileBooth launch
- Collaborate with StoryCorps’ Marketing and Communications Department to support the communications functions of OutLoud
- Ensure the data collection and entry of all partner-related information in to the Sugar CRM database
- Assist in the development and implementation of LGBTQ-specific trainings for StoryCorps staff
- Deliver presentations on behalf of OutLoud
- Produce reports for StoryCorps funders, senior management, and the OutLoud Advisory Group
- Collaborate with Human Resources to recruit OutLoud interns
- Perform supervisory responsibilities with Community Engagement Intern
- Provide regular updates to the Manager, Community Engagement and perform other duties to support OutLoud as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 2 years professonal work experience in a nonprofit organizational setting
- Demonstrated experience working with LGBTQ communities and knowledge of the history and current events of the LGBTQ community and movement
- Prior experience in community organizing or outreach
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Solid organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel)
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Master’s Degree
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) abilities
- Supervisory experience
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and “Senior Coordinator, OutLoud” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.