Per Diem Facilitator, Atlanta StoryBooth
Per Diem Facilitator, Atlanta StoryBooth
Site Supervisor, Atlanta StoryBooth
Per Diem, Non-Exempt
Facilitators are the public face of StoryCorps. They welcome participants to the recording site, orient them to the interview process, handle the technical and administrative aspects of recordings, and do whatever they can to make the StoryCorps experience a positive one for participants and partner organizations.
Facilitators listen carefully and guide participants during interviews, log content, and assume the role of interviewer when a participant comes alone. Facilitators are responsible for data entry, archival activities, reporting, and other tasks necessary to the preservation of interviews and upkeep of the recording space and equipment.
The Per Diem Facilitator position is an on-call, as-needed position, based out of our Atlanta StoryBooth. When Facilitators are not able to cover a shift (or shifts), StoryCorps’ Per Diem Facilitators are contacted and offered the hours. The hours of the Per Diem Facilitator position depend entirely on the availability of work and will vary week to week.
Some of the Per Diem Facilitator’s shifts will take place in our Atlanta StoryBooth, and some of the shifts will require travel. These trips, recorded through our “Door-to-Door” service, in which Facilitators bring portable recording equipment to an offsite location (e.g., an organization, school, church, event, etc.) to record up to six interviews per day, could range from one Atlanta-area recording day to week-long recording trips to anywhere in the U.S.
Per Diem Facilitators are part of the Community Engagement Department and report to the Site Supervisor, Atlanta StoryBooth.
StoryCorps is committed to recording, preserving, and sharing stories from a wide range of American voices-from our Griot Initiative, a program dedicated to recording the stories of African Americans to StoryCorps Historias, a program dedicated to recording the stories of Latinos. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Welcome participants and guide them through the interview process, asking questions as appropriate
- Exhibit sensitivity to the special needs of all participants and to those of specific target populations of StoryCorps initiatives
- Handle all technical aspects of making the recordings
- Act as interviewer with solo participants
- Perform data entry and archival processing tasks to ensure preservation of interviews and an accurate record the day’s activity
- Actively guide the content of any interviews conducted with participants who have been specially recruited by the Production Department
- Identify tape from interviews to be considered for broadcast
- Solicit donations from participants; accurately process and record transactions
- Professionally represent StoryCorps to the public and actively promote the StoryCorps mission
- Resolve issues and improve services; look to proactively solve day-to-day problems
- Perform other tasks to support the Atlanta StoryBooth and the Community Engagement Department, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Excellent driving skills and a valid driver’s license
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills
- Solid organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Strong conflict negotiation and collaborative skills
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Ability and desire to provide excellent customer service
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and web-mail (e.g., G-mail)
- Comfort in learning and working with new equipment
- College degree
- Fluency in a language other than English; fluency in Spanish is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with Atlanta, and Atlanta-based community organizations
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Experience with audio recording equipment, oral history, or documentary work
- Approximately twice per month, Facilitators transport a bag (25 lbs) and a D2D Kit (40 lbs, on wheels) usually via car service; it is possible that if Facilitators travel via airplane, they would need to transport and lift the equipment into overhead bins
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and “Per Diem Facilitator, Atlanta StoryBooth” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.
All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.