Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Payroll & Benefits Specialist
Finance & Administration
Manager, Human Resources
Full-Time, Regular, Exempt
As a key member of StoryCorps’ Human Resources department, the Payroll & Benefits Specialist will be responsible for managing all benefits, payroll, and other related activities for the organization. Specific duties include payroll and Human Resources Information System (HRIS) administration, benefits administration and communications, and regular and ad-hoc reporting, audit, and compliance activities.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people are required.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Payroll / HRIS management:
- Maintain accurate employee data in ExponentHR including new hire entry, title changes, pay rate changes, terminations, benefits enrollments/contributions, wage garnishments, paid time off adjustments, etc.
- Prepare biweekly payroll, including ensuring employees/managers have submitted/approved timesheets, entering all payroll changes, etc.
- Coordinate annual W-2 preparation and distribution and other year-end activities
- Coordinate annual pay notice preparation and distribution, and other employment/pay letters as assigned.
- Administer all employee benefits, including processing new enrollments, terminations, COBRA, disability and worker’s compensation claims, family and medical leave requests, etc.
- Manage all benefits-related staff communications, including leading information sessions for new hires and for current staff during Open Enrollment in January of each year
- Act as liaison with broker and benefits providers
- Participate in annual benefit plan renewal activities, e.g., reviewing current plan designs and considering improvements and/or cost saving alternatives, with support from the organization’s insurance broker
- Complete and file annual reports and tests to fulfill federal and benefit plan requirements
- Respond to all unemployment claims.
Other Benefits and Compensation-related Activities:
- Participate in salary and budget planning activities, e.g. salary/title benchmarking
- Create regular and ad-hoc reports
- Conduct audit activities to ensure accuracy and compliance
- Answer payroll and benefits-related questions from staff
- Develop and document standardized, best practice benefits and payroll-related policies and procedures
- Complete other tasks and projects to support the Human Resources department, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent relevant work experience
- At least 3 years of payroll and benefits administration experience
- Familiarity with relevant federal and NY state laws (e.g. FLSA, FMLA, ADA, COBRA, ACA/ARRA)
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel) and HR Information / Payroll Systems
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and demonstrated ability to function exceptionally in a fast-paced work environment; ability to multi-task while prioritizing important issues
- Strong professional ethics and sensitivity to the confidential nature of Human Resources information
- Proactive problem-solving skills, and the ability to be flexible and adaptable to a growing, changing organizational environment
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people.
- Professional certification (e.g., PHR, CEBS, CPP)
- Experience in multi-state payroll and benefits administration; experience supporting California employees is a plus
- Demonstrated effectiveness and ability with trainings and presentations
- Proficiency on a Mac platform.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and “Payroll & Benefits Specialist” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.