Director, Operations & Organizational Services
Director, Operations & Organizational Services
Operations & Organizational Services
Finance & Administration
Chief Financial & Administrative Officer
Full Time, Regular, Exempt
The Director, Operations & Organizational Services will oversee the day-to-day operations of the organization, including but not limited to office administration, organizational customer service and public information, intellectual property and other legal issues, contractual administration, and program evaluation. S/he will be responsible for the Operations & Organizational Services department’s yearly budgets, goals, and high-level reports to Executives and the Board of Directors. The Director, Operations & Organizational Services reports to the Chief Financial and Administrative Officer and manages a department of four staff members, which includes direct supervision and evaluation of the 3 staff responsible for the Administration, Public Information & Services, and Evaluation functions.
In addition to overseeing multiple functions, s/he works closely with senior management in the Programs, Finance & Administration, and External Relations divisions on a range of infrastructure projects, organizational policies and procedures, and legal/governance issues. The Director, Operations & Organizational Services will review contracts and contract modifications made by third parties, evaluate and approve or reject the changes, and draft alternative language. S/he will communicate directly with the partners and vendors and must have the ability to effectively negotiate the terms and explain StoryCorps’ position. The Director will work interdepartmentally supporting the legal needs of the organization and will explain the legal issues, which must be considered in making organizational decisions. S/he must have discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality regarding both internal and external legal, HR, and administrative matters. The ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented and organized, and will have demonstrated skills in diplomacy, negotiation, and management/supervision.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices—from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with experience supporting diversity and social justice-oriented organizations are strongly encouraged to apply.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee the goals and progress of StoryCorps’ contractual/legal, customer service & public information, administrative, and evaluation functions
- Manage a department of four, including direct supervision and evaluation of three staff
- Manage organizational infrastructure-related projects, with support from relevant StoryCorps staff
- Review, interpret, draft, edit and negotiate organizational contracts (e.g., consultant and vendor agreements, licensing agreements, fee-for-service and archive partner agreements, etc.)
- Enter data and track contracts in the contracts database
- Respond to and manage requests from the public to use StoryCorps’ content
- With the support of the Manager of Administration, ensure the organization’s day-to-day administrative and facilities needs—including but not limited to mailing, telephones, copiers, office supplies, furniture, security, storage, and rent—are adequately addressed in a timely manner
- In collaboration with the Finance Department, develop the Operations & Organizational services department’s budget, including projecting financial expenses and revenues
- Collaborate with Human Resources to ensure administrative onboarding and offboarding procedures are adequately addressed
- Work closely with 80 Hanson Place operations teams to schedule any office-wide facilities maintenance, communicate building policies and emergency procedures, and to ensure StoryCorps is meeting building safety code and regulations; work with internal and external contacts at other StoryCorps sites on similar facilities-related issues, as needed
- Administer organizational insurance, including registration and claims for StoryCorps vehicles, Directors & Officers Liability Insurance, and property insurance
- Work with the Manager of Administration to ensure office facilities are presentable, organized, clean, and pest-free
- Research, draft, and implement new organizational policies and procedures, as needed
- Serve as internal contact and Board liaison for the organization’s ethics and whistleblower policies Org governance
- Work with senior management and external parties regarding the organization’s future real estate and facilities needs, as assigned
- Perform other duties to support StoryCorps operations and organizational services, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least four years management-level experience in an operations, administration, or related role
- At least two years experience providing staff supervision and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience as an effective leader, with strong team-building skills
- Strong conflict negotiation, consensus-building and collaborative skills; ability to comfortably liaise and negotiate with internal/external stakeholders – including legal counsel, board members, consultants, and staff at all levels
- Strong professional ethics, discretion and confidentiality, and sound judgment
- Experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to function exceptionally in a fast-paced work environment; ability to multi-task while prioritizing important issues
- Exceptional organization skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence/humility and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Nonprofit experience
- Master’s Degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., nonprofit or public administration, business administration, etc.) or J.D.
- 2+ years experience in contract negotiation; experience editing, drafting and negotiating contracts with third parties
- Experience working with intellectual property law and licensing rights
- Experience handling office relocations, telephone operations, and providing operational support to remote teams
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and “Director, Operations & Organizational Services” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.