Contracts & Organizational Services
Finance & Administration
Brooklyn, New York
Full-Time, Regular, Exempt
The Contracts Manager will manage contract negotiations and provide legal support to the Director, Operations. S/he will review contracts and contract modifications made by third parties, evaluate and approve or reject the changes, and draft alternative language. S/he will communicate directly with the partners and vendors and must have the ability to effectively negotiate the terms and supporting the legal needs of the organization and will explain the legal issues, which must be considered in making organizational decisions. S/he will also manage the contracts database, enter data, and track the termination dates of contracts to ensure agreements are renewed.
S/he must have discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality of contracts both internally and externally, as appropriate. The ideal candidate will be extremely detail-oriented, organized, and efficient, with strong interpersonal skills. This person must be a proactive problem solver, with strong analytical/research and writing skills.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with experience in and commitment to supporting diversity and inclusion are strongly encouraged to apply.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review, interpret, draft, edit and negotiate contracts
- Review changes made to template agreements by partner organizations including agreements for StoryCorps’ fee-for-service program in which StoryCorps is hired to record and license the interviews, and StoryCorps’ archive program in which StoryCorps provides copies of interviews to a third party who in turn makes the interviews available to the public
- Review consultant agreements, licensing agreements and vendor contracts
- Work directly with partners and vendors to negotiate terms of agreements
- Work interdepartmentally to address the legal needs of each department
- Ensure the departments are aware of the legal obligations as represented in the signed agreements
- Respond to and manage requests made by the public to use StoryCorps' content
- Enter data and track contracts in the contracts database
- Confer with attorneys as needed regarding contract terms or when attorney review is requested/required
- Perform other duties to support the Contracts & Organizational Services department, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree
- A minimum of 2+ years experience in contract negotiation; experience editing, drafting and negotiating contracts with third parties
- Demonstrated understanding of standard contract terms and legal issues
- Demonstrated analytical skills and problem-solving ability
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to form and maintain strong relationships with internal and external customers
- Ability to effectively plan and prioritize work
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time, and work independently to meet goals, objectives, and deadlines
- Resourceful self-starter with curiosity and desire to learn
- Strong organizational skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Demonstrated capacity to be reliable and highly productive
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Strong computer skills, with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Master's degree and/or J.D.
- Experience working with intellectual property law and licensing rights
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Basic skills or fluency in a language other than English; bilingual Spanish language skills are strongly preferred
- Nonprofit experience
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and “Contracts Manager” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.