Associate, Special Events
Associate, Special Events
Associate Director, Special Events
Full-Time, Regular, Exempt
External Relations connects StoryCorps with the public through strategic communication and interaction. The division is responsible for directing all marketing, press, and fundraising activities, as well as all communications to StoryCorps' members, donors, alumni, and partners. External Relations consists of two departments: Marketing & Communications, which includes Content Promotion and Program Promotion, and Development, which includes Individual Giving, Institutional Giving, and Special Events.
Special Events is a vital component of External Relations' fundraising strategy. Events at StoryCorps range from listening events for local fans to special events for donors to our annual gala benefit, which represents a significant portion of our revenue for the year.
The Associate, Special Events will provide responsive, high-quality administrative and organizational support to the Associate Director, Special Events. S/he will support the events team in facilitating all aspects of StoryCorps events, including the creation of invitation lists, contracting with vendors, assigning staff member roles, and providing oversight at the events themselves. The ideal candidate will be extremely organized and detail-oriented, with a positive, enthusiastic approach to working with internal and external customers and collaborators.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with work experience in diverse communities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain all event-related lists with the Associate Manager, Development Communications
- Assist with event-related solicitation via phone and email
- Compile and coordinate event-related mailings
- Maintain organization of Special Events and Development records and files
- Research and liaise with potential event sponsors, vendors, and auction donors
- Process all gala and event-related gifts in the donor database
- Coordinate with other departments on schedules, deadlines, and other logistical planning for events
- Perform other duties to support the External Relations and the Special Events function, as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- At least 1 year previous experience in nonprofit development, or relevant transferrable experience (e.g., marketing, public/press relations, events management, or customer service experience)
- Bachelor's Degree or high school diploma/equivalent plus four (4) years of relevant work experience
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communications skills
- Friendly phone manner and the ability to make large amounts of calls to various levels of donors and partners
- Experience and comfort with databases, spreadsheets and other data manipulation
- Solid organizational skills, ability to multi-task, and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Experience with a fundraising database (e.g. Raiser's Edge, Tessitura, DonorPerfect, etc.)
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and “Associate, Special Events” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.