Coordinator, Marketing & Communications
Job Title: Marketing & Communications Coordinator
Department: Marketing & Communications
Division: Finance & Administration
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Associate Director, Marketing & Communications
Status: Full-Time, Regular, Exempt
StoryCorps is an independent nonprofit whose mission is to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. Founded in 2003 by radio documentary producer and MacArthur Fellow Dave Isay, StoryCorps has recorded and archived nearly 40,000 interviews from more than 70,000 participants. Each conversation is recorded on a free CD to share, and is preserved at the American Folklife Center at the Library of Congress.
StoryCorps is one of the largest oral history projects of its kind. We have visited all 50 states, partnered with hundreds of community organizations across the country, and earned an Institutional Peabody Award, the highest honor in broadcast journalism. Millions listen to our weekly broadcasts on NPRâs Morning Edition, our weekly podcasts on iTunes, and the stories posted on the Listen pages. Our animations have been featured on PBSâs flagship documentary series POV and the YouTube homepage and were nominated for an Emmy. Our two books, Listening Is an Act of Love, and Mom: A Celebration of Mothers from StoryCorps, were New York Times bestsellers. As of August 2011, StoryCorps has over 27,000 Facebook fans and over 11,000 Twitter followersâand counting.
In the coming years, we hope to build StoryCorps into an enduring institution that will touch the lives of every American family. To learn more about our services, produced works, and special initiatives, and to listen to participant stories, visit storycorps.org.
StoryCorpsâ Marketing & Communications Department is a fast-paced, creative, and highly collaborative team that promotes StoryCorpsâ programs, products, and services to print, broadcast, and online media outlets; creates marketing collateral; and manages an annual campaign for StoryCorpsâ National Day of Listening. The Departmentâs goal is to expand the StoryCorps brand, marketing the organization as worthy of general public interest, press attention, and financial support. A successful marketing and communications function is critical to StoryCorpsâ ambitious long-term vision: to touch the lives of every American family.
The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will provide support to the Marketing & Communications department and other StoryCorps departments by managing the content and design of StoryCorpsâ marketing collateral (including brochures, flyers, posters, banners, buttons, e-materials, etc.) S/he will also manage the inventory of StoryCorpsâ marketing collateral, ensuring there are sufficient materials available for events, outreach, and other marketing opportunities. The Marketing & Communications Coordinator will also assist the Marketing & Communications Senior Coordinator with managing StoryCorps’ social media accounts and posting regular updates to publicize StoryCorps products, services, and events. The ideal candidate will be extremely flexible, adaptable, and comfortable working in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment.
StoryCorps provides a competitive salary and excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Account, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, TransitCheks, and Paid Time Off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft, edit, and manage the design and production of StoryCorps marketing collateral, including printed materials, e-materials, newsletters, and templates for use by customer-facing departments, ensuring consistency with institutional identity and brand guidelines
- Create co-branded materials and messages in collaboration with partner institutions and fee-for-service clients
- Implement StoryCorps marketing efforts, tracking progress regularly and evaluating results
- Prepare orders and artwork files for print vendor
- Monitor and update inventories for printed materials
- Organize and manage StoryCorps digital assets such as logos, photos, audio files, and testimonials
- Assist with social media (Facebook, Twitter) updates and account management
- Assist with the preparation of regular reports on Marketing & Communications Department activities for StoryCorpsâ Executive Team and interdepartmental staff
- Assist the Marketing & Communications Senior Coordinator in maintaining a database of StoryCorps Alumni participants who can be spokespeople for press outlets
- Perform other tasks to support StoryCorpsâ Marketing & Communications function, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelorâs Degree in Marketing, Graphic Design, or a related field
- 1 – 2 years experience in Marketing, Graphic Design, or a related field
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Solid organization skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in order to contribute to problem-solving activities within a growing, changing organization
- Ability and desire to provide excellent customer service
- Cultural competence and comfort working with diverse groups of people in an inclusive organizational environment.
- Proficiency on a Mac platform
- Working knowledge of social networking technologies and marketing strategies
- Experience managing content and design of WordPress websites
- Basic html proficiency (blog level)
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your last name and âM&C Coordinatorâ in the subject line. Include the documents as attachments entitled âYourNameLetterâ and âYourNameResume.â In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past. No calls please. Applications are due by September 9, 2011. Please apply early.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.