On Monday, November 23, five Brownies from Troop 565 of Newnan, Georgia visited StoryCorps Atlanta to prepare for the National Day of Listening. Ava, Chloe, Angelina, Carly and Annalie started their visit with a tour of the WABE and PBA studios where they met a number of Atlanta celebrities: Alicia Steele, Steve Goss, Rose Scott, John Weatherford, Lois Reitzes, and John Lemley. The scouts got to listen in as Lois mentioned their troop’s visit on air. The scouts had a chance to visit the Atlanta StoryBooth where they talked into the mics and learned how the facilitators adjust the sound. “I loved learning how to use the microphones!” says Annalie Harris.
After seeing the studios, the girls learned about StoryCorps and the National Day of Listening. They listened to StoryCorps clips and talked about the importance of listening as an act of love. The girls decided who in their in their family they’d like to interview for the National Day of Listening, the day after Thanksgiving. By interviewing a family member, the girls will earn the Her Story patch. “We really learned to listen to each other,” says Angelina Capponi.
To practice for their National Day of Listening interviews, the girls came up with a list of questions they wanted to ask Sarah Harris, their troop leader and sat her down for a StoryCorps interview. “We got to learn more about someone we love–our Girl Scout Leader,” says Carly Krauth.
They asked about when she was younger:
- Where did you grow up?
- Have you ever lived in other countries?
- Where is your favorite place that you have lived?
- Will you say something in French?
- What did you like to do in your spare time?
- Did you ever swim in a lake?
- Where is your favorite place to swim?
Being a Girl Scout Troop Leader:
- Why did you want to be a troop leader?
- How did you learn all this cool stuff?
- Tell us about when you were a Girl Scout.
- What does the Girl Scout Promise mean to you?
- What are your favorite Girl Scout cookies?
And some tough questions:
- What has been the biggest mistake in your life?
- What has been the most fun?
“Now we know how to interview our families for the National Day of Listening,” said Annalie Harris. The Brownies left the station prepared for the National Day of Listening and ready to earn their Her Story patch.
You can download a Do-It-Yourself Guide for the National Day of Listening at www.nationaldayoflistening.org.