Job Title: Manager, Mobile
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Reports To: Director, Programs
Status: Full Time, Regular, Exempt
The StoryCorps Mobile Tour consists of a mobile recording studio housed in an Airstream trailer (a “MobileBooth”) that makes 4-6 week stops in towns and cities around the country, in partnership with local public radio stations. The Manager of the Mobile Department is responsible for management and oversight of all aspects of StoryCorps’ national Mobile Tour, which is designed to gather a collection of interviews that reflect the diversity of America. The Manager creates the annual tour plan, sets annual goals for the department that support StoryCorps’ strategic vision, and tracks the status of goals to ensure their achievement. The Manager directly oversees the work of: a Senior Coordinator who plans individual MobileBooth stops; a field-based Site Supervisor who oversees day-to-day field-based operations of the MobileBooth and Mobile Facilitators; and an Outreach Coordinator who works to engage diverse community organizations and their constituents to participate in StoryCorps. The Manager is responsible for ensuring the cultivation of strong relationships with partner radio stations and community organizations in each tour city. The Manager also collaborates with other department Managers at StoryCorps to maximize the impact of the MobileBooth stop in each community, and to support organizational and interdepartmental goals. The Manager reports to StoryCorps’ Director of Programs.
StoryCorps records, shares, and preserves stories from a diverse range of American voices – from our Griot Initiative to preserve stories of African Americans, to our Historias Initiative to collect the experiences of Latinos. Candidates with demonstrated experience managing outreach to and engagement of diverse communities is required.
Excellent benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, Flexible Spending Accounts, 403(b) Retirement Savings Plan, Employee Assistance Plan, pre-tax transit benefits, and paid time off (vacation, sick leave, personal days, and holidays).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and directly supervise a team of three senior-level Mobile staff, responsible for planning and implementing each tour stop
- Develop and track annual goals in consonance with organization’s Strategic Plan
- Oversee recruitment, training and ongoing supervision and evaluation of departmental team of 6 staff and 2 interns
- Create and plan annual tour route, with a focus on maximizing the diversity of interviews collected
- Ensure creation and maintenance of excellent relationships with radio stations, site hosts and community partner organizations on the tour
- Oversee community outreach work to ensure participation by a diverse range of participants in consonance with organization-wide participant demographic targets
- Liaise with the Recording and Archive department to ensure effective ongoing maintenance, inspection and upkeep of the MobileBooth and responsiveness to any emergencies on the road
- Liaise with multiple departments at StoryCorps to ensure the success of marketing and press relations, contracts execution, radio partner production needs and requirements and other shared functions
- Create, review and evaluate policies, procedures, and systems that support Mobile operations
- Regularly produce accurate and timely reports on all Mobile Department activities for funders, internal stakeholders, and StoryCorps’ Board of Directors
- Ensure annual departmental interview and outreach goals are met or exceeded
- Perform other duties to support the Mobile department as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum 5 years experience in planning and management of mission-driven programs within a non-profit setting
- Minimum 3 years experience supervising staff; experience leading a team in achieving collaborative goals required; experience in distance supervision a plus
- Demonstrated experience managing outreach to and engagement of diverse communities
- Evidenced commitment to interdepartmental, interdisciplinary team approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Solid organizational skills, multi-tasking ability, and attention to detail
- Strong conflict resolution and teamwork skills
- Must be a proactive problem-solver, adaptive to a growing, changing organization
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software; must be comfortable learning and using new technology
- Demonstrated commitment to mission of StoryCorps
- Cultural competence and the ability to work successfully with diverse groups of people.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com and include your last name and “Manager, Mobile” in the subject line. Include your cover letter and resume as attachments entitled “YourNameLetter” and “YourNameResume.” In your cover letter, please tell us how you found out about this opportunity and whether you have applied for a position at StoryCorps in the past.
The position will remain open until filled; please apply early. No calls please.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.