StoryCorps is currently at work on a narrative nonfiction book to be published by the Penguin Press. Our debut book, Listening Is an Act of Love, made the extended bestseller list on the New York Times several weeks running. We are hoping to do the same with this new book, but we need the help of a skilled reader and organized worker. The internship will entail the duties and responsibilities listed in the description below, as well as the exciting opportunity to work with our Editor, a Creative Nonfiction MFA, and our founder Dave Isay, a Peabody Award-winning documentarian and MacArthur Genius.
Duties & Responsibilities
Projects may include, but will not be limited to:
- Read transcripts and help to cull and edit into a manuscript
- Research potential interviews to cherry-pick for the book
- Assist in identifying interviews by searching internal databases and spot listening to audio
- Transmit audio to transcribers and track transcription process
- Collect and organize contact info for participants whose interviews are selected for print
- Coordinate and/or track aspects of production including photo reshoots
- Other administrative and research tasks as assigned
- May also be asked to provide general assistance with production process work for StoryCorps Animations
- Experience in and a commitment to writing and/or editing literary nonfiction
- Experience and interests in line with StoryCorpsâ mission to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives.
Value of the Internship
At the completion of this internship, the Print Intern should have experience in the process of editing and producing a published work of nonfiction.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.