The Community Engagement Department supports the mission of StoryCorps to provide Americans of all backgrounds and beliefs with the opportunity to record, share, and preserve the stories of our lives. We accomplish our mission by ensuring a diverse representation of interview participants across our tiers of service, removing barriers to the participation of the communities we serve, and providing our partners with access to StoryCorps content.
This internship will focus on supporting the Community Engagement Department, Participant Diversity Team and StoryCorps’ newest Military Voices Initiative newest which aims to record, share and preserve the stories of veterans, service members and their families.
Duties & Responsibilities
Projects may include, but will not be limited to:
- Providing direct support to the Military Voices coordinators.
- Providing support to other Community Engagement staff, including other initiative coordinators, data assistant, and manager.
- Research, writing, and collaboration in the department effort for achieving StoryCorps’ participant diversity goals.
- Research and outreach to identify available resources for the provision of staff training regarding cultural awareness, sensitivity, and competence.
- Administrative tasks as needed, including the editing and categorization of a variety of Initiative materials.
Resourcefulness, strong attention to detail, ability to take initiative and work both independently and as a team are vital. Desire to engage and serve a variety of culturally diverse communities. Familiarity with Excel and/or FileMaker Pro is a plus. Bilingual (English and Spanish) ability is highly preferred.
Value of the Internship
At the end of the internship the Community Engagement intern will gain knowledge, skills, and experience in community outreach and organization. The intern will gain experience in activities involved in the planning, coordination, and execution of innovative programs housed within a large-scale oral history project.
StoryCorps seeks to hire staff who reflect the diversity of the communities we serve.
All positions at StoryCorps are filled without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, HIV/AIDS status, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. All are encouraged to apply.